Wednesday 15 April 2015

SMASHING THE CHINA

I had an idea to make a blanket of broken china woven together with bits of wool and string and old blankets that had been broken down to strands.

I wanted it to be suspended from the ceiling and as if there were two bodies lying beneath it.

I began by a trip round various charity shops to buy china and came across red glass and brown glass and crystal glasses so I picked those up too as I thought they would add some glamour to the piece.

Broken china, would not be something very comfortable to sleep under. I also thought of the idea of weight and constraint. Of trying to hold something together. Broken pieces. I began by smashing china and glass from the height of a stepladder.


















I then experimented with tying them together with string and wool.









Other experiments included placing the broken china inside the glasses, have them spilling out.

I decided to smash the glasses, like a dinner party gone wrong.Fits of anger.










I liked some of the more abstract pictures.















No comments:

Post a Comment