Wednesday 15 April 2015

More fabric samples for washing line concept

I also experimented with rubbing canvas, a very plain material in mud.
I experimented with rubbing patterned fabric in mud, and then experimented with fringing- flapper girl connotations, and lace that had been sprayed gold.

These are some of my samples.
 












I had vaious ideas of ways I should experiment with fabric samples some of these ideas included-

Soak fabrics in: paint stripper, bleach, anything else that might be eroding......

Fill stocking with broken china/ glass the idea of WEIGHT

"Are you heavy on the ground?"

These samples were also inspiring other ideas-

Black feathers shed from a feather boa, burnt... Peacock feathers- unlucky...

Chain- again the idea of weight.

I began thinking about how they could be used in my installation and had the idea of them hanging out of an old tin bucket, that was filled with gin, a broken down washing line reaching from the bucket to higher up on the wall.

I wanted to think about things that make you itch.

I thought about nettles- a recognisable object- something that comes from the ground and how these could become a part of my installation, with no dock leaves to hand.

Inside the bucket with the dress?

Around the bucket?

I could even make clothing out of them, HOWEVER THIS MIGHT BE A BIT TOO PAINFUL.

I thought of gin- something that appeals to the senses- a poison- historical gin houses

I remembered an English tutor telling me of gin and a hot bath being linked to abortion in the past.

I thought about the idea of trying to wash something out/wash something away/ wash something clean, but to no avail. My character "failing" as a wife.

I decided I had to create a loose pattern for a dress and experiment with various fabrics.

I made a list-

lace
fringing
chain
cotton
china
broken glass
sparkling sequins- Could they make another appearance? Sculptural pieces that talk to each other.



I liked some of the more glamorous samples. The gold lace and the fringing. Thought about fixing feathers in with this choice of fabrics.I questioned whether they were too glamorous for my piece.

I liked the idea of creating a loose dress, with gaps in it- the idea of nakedness, vulnerability, exposure.

Gaps in her life- Lack of child, Lack of fun/ creativity

"Sometimes stitch but never draw no more"    

No more singing

"Outside Jay's front door"

I had been working with broken glass and china. The next post will explain further this experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment