Wednesday 15 April 2015

It began with the idea of a washing line

I was researching 1920s/30s living rooms. This was back when I was still thinking of my installation as a scene, rather then separate pieces that talk to each other.

I came across an image of a backyard with a washing line. I thought a washing line might be an interesting concept. I was thinking in terms of levels.

Of course this wouldn't be your standard washing line. That would be far too obvious and risked killing off creative possibilities too early.


These are some of my initial ideas for the washing line.

It is important to keep my aims in mind-

To create something that appeals to the senses.

To create something that shows the sinister tone of the poem.

To show a sense of danger.


Layers of meaning draped over a washing line.

A joining of old life and new. Sequins stitched together with men's clothing or more conservative women's clothing.


I thought about sheets of music, as Jazz and Blues were a big part of her life. Distressed, created into clothing- potential to look a bit decorative.


Fabrics can be soaked in something- gin, acid, something poisonous. APPEALING TO THE SENSES. SHOWING THE TONE OF THE POEM. A SENSE OF DANGER.

I thought about movement. Making the washing line move, might evoke dancing.

Other initial ideas-

Dried poisonous flowers

Domestic objects- knives (DANGER)

Stockings filled with sequins and mud.

I did some experiments with fabric, stitching together old fabrics. Plain/patterned but homely fabrics in contrast to glamorous fabrics.



These are some of my experiments.









No comments:

Post a Comment