Sunday 17 May 2015

Experiments with the washing line

Experimenting with the washing line-

I experimented with a washing line made out of broken glass and china, tied together with string. This brokenness was to show an anger, which I believe might be a part of my character's personality, wrapped together with the domestic material, string. Here I was experimenting with the concepts of weight and constraint. Some of the broken glass I had selected was red in colour adding a hint of glamour. The sharpness of broken glass and china is something also to bear in mind when viewing this work.

Other materials used included peacock feathers, glamorous and at the same time unlucky.
Gold sprayed lace that I hoped to have a slight appearance of snakes together with a glamorous quality.

Black fringing alluding to flapper girl connotations.

Nettles that would sting, again giving hints to her personality, as well as using earthy materials. They also itch. I was inspired to use this material by the line in the poem

Does the Gin still cling when you scratch your skin?

 And a tin bucket filled with gin.

The scent and materials used are quite tactile.

These are some photographs that I took when creating this work and although I feel it is largely an unsuccessful experiment it has led on to other ideas, which I hope to be more visually interesting. I will explain later.










I experimented at first with all the materials in the bucket, tumbling out and the washing line attached to the wall. This I felt was quite obvious that it was a washing line. However I didn't feel it was prominent enough. That it might need to be adapted into a kind of net. Or more washing lines. I felt it was a bit flimsy and that this didn't actually work for this piece.









I decided to experiment with spreading the materials outside of the bucket. And with adding another washing line. However I didn't feel this worked either. There was no particular reason why my materials should be spread around the bucket. It looked a bit decorative and not thought through.











I didn't feel the washing line was working at all. I decided to cut it down and dangle it around and inside my bucket. I also reduced my materials. I wasn't happy with the gold lace, I felt the bucket didn't look old enough. I felt the nettles would look better when they had browned.





Although I felt the bucket looked better when raised onto a plinth I wasn't happy with this experiment.

The gin was also proving to be a problem.

The smell wasn't strong enough. It could be smelt up close but I didn't know how close my viewers would get to the piece. I felt this subtlety wasn't a good thing.

I had another idea.

A mangle with ivy and peacock feathers pushed through it like washing. Authentic materials, the idea, of poison trying to be washed out but clinging on, with the peacock feathers adding glamour and an unlucky edge. I also wanted to bear in mind the idea of weight. Scales were a possibility.

I had to think about the gin. If a material is drenched and hung and face level, possibly when entering the studio the smell could be stronger, literally in your face.

I felt the red glass could work, crushed and on the floor, speaking to my crib piece and the use of red sequins. HAVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A MANGLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment