Friday 22 May 2015

Experiments with the concept of "Shedding Skin"

The following photographs document my work involving the concept of "Shedding Skin". It is an important concept in my poem.

I first experimented with different tools and the effect these tools have on wood and leather. I collected the dust and this analysis helped me to come to the conclusion that I was going to use a variety of tools with this work.














I began working on the chair, shedding its skin.










I liked the way the wood peeled. I liked hacking away at the chair. I received feedback that the inside of the chair looked like the muscles inside the body.





















I liked the way the leather wore down, creating new patterns on the "skin". I purposely sliced diagonally inwards from the bottom left and corner and pulled the stuffing out.









I liked the patterns created by the dust when working. I did some experimental photography which I will show later.

The glamorous edge to this sculpture are the dancing shoes displayed above, which themselves look as if they are shedding their skin.

I experimented with close up of the worn leather and the chair.








































































No comments:

Post a Comment