Wednesday 10 June 2015

Films with limited sound

I decided that the Ivy trailing out of the mangle was not an unusual sculptural piece. You often see mangles in gardens and this felt like a familiar image. In a tutorial we had discussed the idea of working with films, using some of the same materials. I began mangling different materials, some of which I had used in the bucket experiment. These included stinging nettles and black fringing, feathers and ivy, soil and sequins.

I also made some films of the cut glass I had taken pictures through earlier. Moving it around and watching it distort wood chipping and diamontes, broken china and feathers.




Other films included lace being burnt with a cigarette and a baby shoe where I jolted the camera.

I edited the speed on some of the films and pieced them together. I decided to keep the sound of the mangle as I had received feedback that this sounded like a medieval torture chamber.

Here is the film with just the sound of the mangle. I am hoping to have the other sound edited into my films by the end of the day. But am having some technical difficulties due to the wrong wire for my voice recorder. Will have a search to see if I can find the other one, however I have made note of the sounds that worked for the piece.

These sounds included-

Striking matches.

A soft hushing sound.

The clatter of pots and pans.

Potentially the sound of feet in high heels.

Potentially the sound of smoking.

China. Broken bits of china dropping from a height.

I feel all these sounds are quite atmospheric and match the film well.

Here are the links to the films with limited sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiWjVdnBHS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzhhuB0n69A

No comments:

Post a Comment