Tuesday 31 March 2015

I identified three main aims for my artwork-


Something that shows a sense of danger.

Something that appeals to the senses.

Something that shows the sinister tone of the poem.


I began by gathering materials that were visible in my poem, such as sequins, soil.


I decided to make a crib of thorns, I felt it appropriate to use things from the earth and also took inspiration from this line of my poem

"Does your belly ache for baby?"

This line could be talking of a baby my protagonist longs for, or a baby she has lost.


Either way this shows a "not rightness". Something she might be judged or pitied for by her peers.

I felt a sense of danger could be shown through making a crib of thorns, something you would never put a baby into. I used lace curtains dyed in tea, and rubbed in soil, to create an aged distressed effect, and surrounded the crib in soil and red sequinns, which contrast well with the darkness of the soil.

The following posts are images of me creating the crib and, then the final installation.



No comments:

Post a Comment